Rich in history, this square is associated with liberation struggles of the locals. Its names through history documents the History of Argostoli: Liberty square, Piacetta, Belltour square.Here is where the locals burned the Libro D'Oro book during the French occupation in 1797.
The Bell tower was built between 1870-1890 and in December 1857 the tower was erected in order to house the new clock mechanism. During the English occupation the precision of the clock was assigned to a special caretaker but after 1864 this responsibility was assigned to a technician.
The tower was ruined in 1953 by the earthquake.
Its reconstruction began in 1977 on the designs of Takis pavlatos, financed by the fund raising initiative of Marigoula Alivizatou. The original bell was placed on the new tower in 1985 and then the clock operated again after the earthquake.
Today it hosts a Traditional coffee shop.