The construction of the castle of Assos started in 1585, when local ambassadors asked the Venetians to build a second castle for the better protection of the island. The area was chosen because the peninsula is extremelly strategical so itís not easy to be conquired by sea after a naval attack. Assos became the capital of the northern part of the island and the castle is a typical masterpiece of the Renaissance architecture. The aim to establish residents failed due to its far-off position. A century later, in 1684, the Venetians reconquired Lefkas and the castle lost its strategical importance. It operated until 1943 as a prison.
Today, one can still see the ruins of the walls, the house of the Venetian chief-master, military buildings and St Marcoís church. The Ministry of Culture works for the protection and preservation of the castle which for centuries stands overlooking the Ionian sea, offering a magnificent view to all directions.