The British Cemetery in Kefalonia lies to the north end of the Drapano Bridge, on the road to Lixouri. It is the final resting place for over two hundred British Servicemen, their wives and children and to many civilians who had either served with the armed forces or had made their homes in the island.
The first recorded burial in the cemetery was of Master Blackwell in 1681 and the next recorded burial was that of a Mr John Genaros in 1710. Mr Genaros came from a prominent merchant family of Bristol, England and his gravestone still exists into the south wall of the cemetary.
In 1943 it was severely damaged during an Italian bombing raid and was subsequently restored to be destroyed again in the 1953's earthquakes.
In our days the cemetary is looked after by a British resident, Roy Harrison, who is trying to maintain it after years of neglect. The British Cemetary is a historical place full of memories. Walking around the monuments you take a trip back in time. In the cemetary there is an information board with the history of the people buried there.